Thank you for taking action this legislative session! Whether you signed on to our policy agenda, contacted your legislators or the governor, joined an Action Team, testified to the Legislature, shared our posts on social media, or took another action (or all of the above!), your actions made a difference. BECAUSE OF YOU, H.171 had incredible support in the Legislature and will make a big difference in our child care system and in the lives of children and families.
This year, Let's Grow Kids launched a three-year legislative campaign that starts with two of the most pressing needs of the child care system: family affordability and an early childhood education workforce that is skilled and respected. With the passage of H.171, we're well on our way to achieving real and lasting policy change in Vermont.
• Restructuring the Child Care Financial Assistance Program to cap family co-payments at affordable rates and expand eligibility to more families, as well as setting a goal that no family spend more than 10% of their income for child care;
• Formally convening experts and stakeholders to develop plans for raising new revenue as well as system coordination and accountability;
• Fully funding an updated IT system critical to effective and efficient administration; and
• Increasing strategic investments in early childhood education workforce development and setting a goal that early childhood educators are compensated on par with their colleagues in similar professions.
In 2022: Our campaign will support the stakeholder processes, continue legislative work, and organize in communities in the 2022 election to support legislators who have championed child care legislation.
In 2023: Our campaign focus will be passing a revenue bill and fully implementing affordability, access, quality, and accountability measures.
APPROACH TO PUBLIC POLICY CHANGE
Ensuring affordable access to equitable, high-quality child care requires significant public policy change and substantial public investment. That’s why LGK is working with supporters across the state to effect change in the virtual state house, and at all levels of government.
• We work with early childhood champions within the state’s Legislature and Administration to generate political will among elected officials to create policy change that prioritizes Vermont’s children, families, and early educators.
• We collaborate with partners from the early childhood, business, education, and health care communities to inform our work and strengthen the movement.
• We support Vermonters from all walks of life to help them connect with their elected representatives, so they can tell their story about why investment in child care is a priority for Vermont.
WHAT WE'VE ACCOMPLISHED
We have more to do to achieve the child care system Vermont needs, but we’ve made great strides in our work to ensure affordable access to high-quality child care for all Vermonters. Take a look below to see some important recent accomplishments, including what we’ve achieved together in 2021.
• An overview of the initiatives that became law in 2019, thanks to the efforts of our supporters and legislative champions
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
To achieve our mission and bring about the policy change Vermont’s child care system deserves, we need your help! Visit our Mobilize page to find out what actions you can take—big or small—to help us achieve our mission. Or reach out to our Policy Manager, Drake Turner, for more information.