Child care is essential to our children, families, economy, and Vermont. By signing this Petition, you are saying:
"I support prioritizing children and increasing public investments in high-quality, affordable child care to ensure every Vermont child has a strong start."
Vermont faces a child care crisis:
- Even before COVID-19, 3 out of 5 of Vermont's youngest children couldn't get the care they needed.
- Middle-income families are spending more than 40% of their income on child care, even with financial assistance
- Without child care, families will continue to struggle and our economy won't recover.
CHILD CARE IS THE LINCHPIN
The child care crisis not only affects our families and early educators, it also has a direct impact on our state’s economy.
- Talented employees (most frequently women) are forced to leave their careers
- Businesses struggle to retain qualified and productive employees
- Special education, health care, social welfare and corrections costs are climbing
A 2018 survey of Vermont families requested by the Legislature found that lack of affordable, quality child care is directly impacting our businesses and economy. If we are to grow as a state, child care and early learning programs are a critical linchpin in our state’s success.
By expanding affordable access to high-quality child care programs, Vermont will be well-positioned to attract and support the workforce of today while also ensuring the healthy development of the workforce of tomorrow.
It’s for these reasons and many more that 21,457 Vermonters have signed our Petition.
And it’s why we hope you’ll sign today!